Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gateway Fountains and Good Samaritans

Last week some friends and I took our babies to the Gateway fountain on the frontrunner. The bummer about the new frontrunner train is that it is so expensive! $5 to ride to Salt Lake per person. But I think not very many people are riding it because they have this new deal that 4 people can ride for $10, so we took advantage. It was pretty fun and the kids loved the train. The frontrunner is convenient because there are no stairs- we could roll our strollers straight on the train, but when we got to Salt Lake and transferred to Trax, you have to go up about 4 stairs, and you have to get in pretty quick. So as soon as the doors opened, I picked up Caydence's stroller (because mine was the smallest) and rushed her up the stairs. Then I would turn around and grab the front of the next stroller and we'd put that one in together, and then we'd grab the next one. It was pretty crazy, but we did it.

Good Samaritan #1
When we got to our stop at the Gateway, a man that was also riding Trax hopped off and helped each of us with our strollers, and then got back in the train. He GOT OFF the train to help us and he wasn't even getting off there! We thanked him, and then one of my friends said, "well there really are still nice people in this world!"

Here are a couple shots of them playing in the fountain. Caydence absolutely LOVED it. But she was always walking away from me so I didn't get very many good shots.
And this was the only shot I could get of her and Adam together. (We never could get Ali in the pictures because she wasn't really in to the fountain.)
Good Samaritan #2 (and #3)
So yesterday my mom took all us girls to this place she has been raving about called Causey Dam so we could float in the beautiful water. (We didn't get to bring our cameras, bummer) So anyways, it was a really steep trail to get from our car to the water, and we almost lost Grandma a few times on the way down, and Paige was crying the whole way, but we finally made it to the water. We had a good time, but when we went to leave we saw a place across the lake that was WAY closer to the road, so we wouldn't have to hike back up the mountain to get to the car. So mom agreed to go get the car and meet us over there. Well this is where the drama began. As soon as she started leaving, Caydencde started screaming. She was cold, and tired, and hungry. To make a long story short, the swim was a lot longer than we anticipated, and the wind was working against us. And Paige got ahead of me and Grandma and then started having a SEVERE panic attack. We could hear her SCREAMING and there was nothing we could do. She was making me pretty mad, she was fine (wearing a life jacket and floating on a raft) but she was freaking out. I felt totally helpless because I had finally gotten Caydence asleep on my chest, and all of the extra rafts on top of the raft I was floating on, and she was a ways ahead of us. And then Grandma starts telling me how tired she is, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to dive in for her, but I have sleeping Caydence on me. So I start paddling over to her to give her back her life jacket (mom is getting the car all this time) and I figure she needs my help more because Paige already had a life jacket on. Anyways, after lots of screaming "Paige, you are OK!!!! Stop screaming!!!! Settle down!!!!" a canoe came up beside us with a young couple inside. Heavenly father was definitely listening to my prayers. We begged them to go calm Paige down, and they were more than happy to help and rushed right over to her. They kept her calm until she could get to shore where mom was waiting. Then they came back to help me, but I was more worried about Grandma, so they towed her over to shore (which was still pretty far away) and then came back for me. They wrapped Caydence in a blanket and held her while they towed me back to shore. I don't know what we would have done without them. I was the only one that was able to help anyone else, but I couldn't because Caydence was having a hard time. I felt so helpless. I also felt very frustrated with a certain someone in the group.... but we were grateful for our helpers and found a better way to get into the lake for next time.....if there is a next time :)

2 comments:

Melissa + Brett said...

I don't know why, but I got goose bumps as I read this blog entry. It's so nice to know Heavenly Father prompts others to be His helping hands!

sNick said...

Man, why don't you guys ever plan activities like this for A SATURDAY!!! On second though, maybe I don't want to hang out with a bunch of people who can't even swim across a lake ;)