Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to school

I never thought I'd say this, but this is the first time I've felt jealous of everyone heading back to school.

I feel like my entire college experience has been a waste of time. I have enough AP and college credits to be a senior but I don't even have an associate's degree.

My first year at BYU I had no Idea what I was doing. I didn't have any guidance or advice when registering for classes so I had an extremely heavy load including economics (with 850 people in the class), geography, physics, business, and comparative politics. I thought I wanted to go to law school, but that first year really burned me out. I was also working 40+ hours a week and teaching gospel doctrine. It was really a bummer because I had wanted to go to BYU my whole life and that year really spoiled it for me.

I dropped out 3 weeks into my second year when Danny and I decided to get married because he was going to school at Weber State. I went back to school the following year, but since I was working full time and busy I took all online classes, hard classes, and we did't even have the Internet! I had decided to get a business associate degree and so I took the classes to fulfill that path. 2 years later I decided to just get a generic associates so a lot of those classes were a waste, but I just wanted to get my associates so that all of my hard work wouldn't go to waste, and I was about to have Caydence. This is when I finally went to talk to a counselor and they told me I had ONE class left to graduate! It is a computer class that everyone is required to take that teaches you about excel, power point, etc.

That was almost 3 years ago and I still haven't taken the class. I looked into it once and it was going to cost me $700 for that one class! The kicker is that I can test out of the class for $50 but I am so computer illiterate that I am too afraid to take it! Stupid, I know.

I see all the people my age getting masters degrees and "real jobs" and I feel so left behind. One day I will finish. I want to so bad! But for now I'm happy to have Caydence and Danny to fill the void.

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

2 comments:

Danelle and Alex said...

I totally agree with you. Kade and I walked around weber campus with Alex and the whole atmosphere of it was so exciting! It made me miss learning a bit. I haven't finished either but I really do want to as well. But I'm really grateful to be a Mom and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now.

Annie said...

Don't know if this will help at all, but after getting my bachelor's and spending two years in a master's program, I am so thrilled NOT to be going to school this year and to be staying home with my baby instead. I spent the last two years extremely stressed thanks to that program and disliking most of my classes. Now that I get to stay home and take care of my baby instead, I feel like the way I spend my time has more meaning and purpose than it did while I was in school and I'm a lot happier. I hope you do find a way to get your degree, though!