Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Empire State of Mind"

Danny and I just had the best week in NYC!! We were so lucky to have amazing friends (Scott and Ashley) that found us CHEAP flights, and let us stay with them to boot! We had such a blast! Here are some of the highlights.


Day 1:

This was the view from our bedroom window. UH-MA-ZING!

The one thing I HAD to do in New York: WICKED! My one splurge. (Hint: I got the very 2 end seats on a row, they were still pretty close to the front, and we could still see everything, and they were half the price of the seats next to them!)

It was raining, so we couldn't do the ice skating at Rockefeller Center, it was pretty much a lake.

We finished the day at Malecon, a Dominican place by S&A's and it was SO GOOD (we may or may not have eaten there twice)!


Day 2:


We went to the South street Seaport Museum and then rode the Staten Island Ferry. We LOVE the SIF, it is free, and has great views! We rode it right at sunset and saw some amazing things!

Then we met up with Ashley and had seafood right on the pier. Great view! It was so amazing.


Day 3:
We started the day at the Met. We went there last time we were in NY, but only got like and hour before it closed. We love taking the tours; they're free and make the museum a whole lot less mind-boggling. It really is a maze, so it's nice to have them show you around. There are tours on all different subjects running all day long.

Then we looked at some buildings around downtown. Grand Central Station:

Chrysler Building:

We met up with S&A and headed to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. We LOVE that place, and they have the Best white pizza. (Why am I the only one who looks like I am in pain?)

Then we walked back to Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge. (Again, I look like I'm in pain)

Saw some amazing views.

Then we walked down canal street for a bit; always an adventure :)


Day 4:

We went to Central Park and saw Belvadere Castle. There were some awesome views from the top.

Then we rented a row boat on the pond, and it was so fun! The boys were nice enough to row us around.



S&A

Some fun "Polaroids" from my iPhone. I love the vintage look.



Lunch at Shake Shack.

(We may have gone there 3 times on our trip just so I could get this Pumpkin custard! -Worth it- They kept changing the schedule on me!)

That night Danny and I took the Harbor lights tour. We took the day cruise last time, so we decided it would be fun to see the harbor at night. (Not great pictures- it was dark and far away)

The Empire State Building was orange and black for Halloween.
Saturday night Caydence went Trick-or-Treating with Paige (we left her home with my family). I was sad to miss her first time! She was so adorable!
Day 5:
We went to church with S&A, and it was so great to see a non-Utah ward. We loved it. Scott made us an amazing dinner, and we took it easy (Ashley warned us Halloween is a gang initiation holiday, so we were a little nervous to head outside)
Day 6:
Saw some more cool buildings. The flatiron building:
The Empire State Building:

Then we met up with Ashley and headed to Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. It was so fun!
Day 7:
We started the day at the temple which was AWESOME. I love that the church is the same no matter where you go, but still so different. It was so beautiful.
Then we headed to dinner at some random mall we found but we had the most amazing view of Columbus Circle.
Ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"?

Seinfeld?

Day 8:
We took it pretty easy on our last day- walked through the city, got some cookies from Levian to take home to thank my family for watching Caydence, then took a cab to the airport that night.
Must haves for an amazing NYC trip:
1- An iPhone: It was a lifesaver! Subway maps, finding nearby restaurants, just using the internet anywhere!
2- Danny's work badge: Got us in to all the museums for free!
3- A subway card!
4- AMAZING friends that let you stay with them, eat their food, and show you around the city. We couldn't have done it without you S&A!!!! Thank you so much!!!

2 comments:

KarenM said...

Glad you were able to do this! Amazing pictures.

sNick said...

What the pumpkin custard?!!! I'm flying there TOMORROW! What a cool trip!