Friday, November 9, 2012

No more Reese's!

I mentioned in a recent post that we were having Will tested for a peanut allergy.  They sent us to the hospital to have his blood drawn and we got to have lunch with Danny's mom, who works there, and we got to visit my grandma, who volunteers there!

Anyways, the doctor called me the next day to tell me they ran the wrong test.  Good thing, because they also found out he was allergic to eggs.  I was shocked.  He has had eggs many times and I've never noticed any reaction!  But, bad thing, because we still didn't know if he was allergic to peanuts.  I felt so stupid, because I broke down on the phone and couldn't even really finish the conversation because I got so upset.  Who does that?!  I had been upset about something right before they called, so I'll blame it on that.  Or maybe it was the fact that Will had his blood drawn of of BOTH arms that day for 2 different things, and had 3 shots, and they wanted me to turn around and do it again so that we could  do the test I originally needed!  Well we are pretty lucky, because Danny's mom runs the lab at McKayDee, so she worked her magic and was able to tack on the peanut test with the blood they had leftover, so a happy ending after all, kind of.  He IS allergic to peanuts.  Allergic enough that they prescribed him an epiPen that we have to carry around.  {insert panic here}

It's a whole new world I'm getting used to. I had a really hard time thinking of things to feed Will before, now take out anything with peanuts, manufactured in a plant with peanuts, and eggs.  Awesome.  And now I feel like I can't leave him with ANYONE.  I must be with him at all times.  And I worry any time he puts ANYTHING in his mouth...  I'm going to try meeting with an allergist to help calm my fears and answer my questions.  It's going to be a long road, but hopefully being more informed will help me feel a little less overwhelmed.

On an ironic note, this of course happened right after I bought an entire case of peanut butter at a case lot sale...

No comments: