I like to believe that people are inherently good, but I just have had so many bad experiences with car accidents that I am beginning to think otherwise.
Occurrence #1: While living on a main road in Bountiful we had a car totaled by a (naked) drunk driver who tried to run, but luckily her car was so damaged she could only get as far as the neighbor's front yard. I was asleep when it happened, it was late and there were no witnesses. We got lucky on that one.
Occurrence #2: While driving home from work one day, another driver pulled right out in front of me causing an accident, and she lied her way into convincing me not to call the cops so she could get away. I called them after she left, and it turns out she gave me fake insurance, fake phone number, she didn't have a license, insurance, and it wasn't even her car. I got really lucky again because they tracked her down, ticketed her, and she paid my insurance deductible of $500 to get my car fixed.
Occurrence #3: Today I was sitting in my front room when I heard screeching tires and a loud crash. I ran outside to see what happened and saw an SUV had hit my across the street neighbor's car that was parked on the road. (We live right on a busy intersection.) He ran right into the back bumper, and then proceeded to back up and drive off. I have, no joke, always wanted to be the hero in one of these situations and get the plate# and save the day, but alas, I was at the wrong angle, had no shoes on, and there was a wall of snow in between us, so I got nothing. I was so frustrated!! The poor neighbor boy was home alone, so he called some family to come help and called the police. I went over to see if I could give a statement (even though I didn't see all that much). The cop said there is almost no chance of finding him. So frustrating!!! Someone said "I hope they have a change of heart, or it was a teen and their parents make them come back," and the cop just laughed like yeah right. He sees this all the time and it seems that it never ends well.
What am I supposed to think?!
7 years ago
4 comments:
When I was a parking cop I tried to get used to people lying to my face constantly. I don't think I ever really accepted the fact that most people were lying to me. It was to disheartening to accept.
PS I was trying to figure out why this post was called 'Delma'. But it turns out it's not, by the way.
Yeah, it's pretty discouraging as a cop to respond to so many hit and run calls and so rarely do we get enough information to find the jerk that did it. Every once in a while there's a witness or a clue that results in a somewhat happy ending, but most the time they get away with it.
We heard that crash across the street too! A couple hours later we saw what looked like a dad and his teenage son talking to the Nantz's. Hopefully they were doing what they should.
Post a Comment